Got information on a new show or need to contact me?

I'd love to hear from you if you read this blog. If you have tips, if you wanna say how much I rule or how much I suck: It's all good.

Add me on Facebook!: http://www.facebook.com/mankvill
E-Mail: mandatory-metallica@hotmail.com
MSN Messenger: jjstrfx64@hotmail.com
AIM: jjstrfox64

Friday, March 4, 2011

Weedeater -- Lawrence, KS -- March 3rd, 2011

As if there was any nagging doubt in the subconscious areas of my mind, Weedeater has brutally stomped my mind (and definitely my ears) with their utterly heaviest brand of metal in the world. It took place at the Jackpot saloon, a small bar with a modest stage and only room for (at extreme most) a few hundred people. The way the crowd was going throughout the entire show, you could have mistaken it for Wacken Open Air. Multiple stage divers and crowd surfers and violent headbanging made for an awesome time. Weedeater played some off their upcoming album "Jason...The Dragon" including the title track and the absolute crushing show-opener "Hammerhandle." If their last album enticed you, their newest will probably be your favorite album of the year. They also revisited all their other albums, including "Weedmonkey Junction" from their first album, "Buzz" from Sixteen Tons (aptly named album), and several off "God Luck And Good Speed," including the title track, "Wizard Fight," and an absolutely stellar and mind-blowing rendition of Lynyrd Skynyrd's "Gimme Back My Bullets." It was truly a performance to remember and the ringing of my ears will remind me of it for some time to come. The rest of the concerts I see this year will have some stiff competition.

Opening for Weedeater was Zoroaster, one of the loudest bands I've ever seen live. It actually started to work against them as their set went on, but their absolutely fantastic drummer made the band an absolute joy. Some songs were (a lot!) better than others and had a fantastic groove to them. They were a lot better than what I expected them to be.

The first band of the night was local band Masses who were apparently playing their first show since August of last year because their singer had a baby. I wouldn't necessarily say their brand of music was way out of place at this show, but it was certainly different. It was, however, refreshing to hear wonderful clean vocals go along with pop/post-rock/noise rock/whatever you want to call it. I'm looking forward to them again!

Weedeater (partial/out of order)

Calico
$20 Peanut
The Great Unfurling
Hammerhandle
Turkey Warlock
Jason...The Dragon
Monkey Junction
Potbelly (?)
God Luck And Good Speed
Wizard Fight
Gimme Back My Bullets (Lynyrd Skynyrd cover)
Weed Monkey

Zoroaster set:

White Dwarf
Ancient Ones
D.N.R.
Bullwhip
Old World
Odyssey
Black Hole
Spirit Molecule

Weedeater: 10/10
Zoroaster: 8/10
Masses: 7.5/10

No comments: