Got information on a new show or need to contact me?

I'd love to hear from you if you read this blog. If you have tips, if you wanna say how much I rule or how much I suck: It's all good.

Add me on Facebook!: http://www.facebook.com/mankvill
E-Mail: mandatory-metallica@hotmail.com
MSN Messenger: jjstrfx64@hotmail.com
AIM: jjstrfox64

Sunday, August 15, 2010

Boris -- Lawrence, KS -- August 15th, 2010

1. Farewell
2. Rainbow
3. 8
4. Luna
5. Statement
6. Floorshaker
7. a bao a qu
8. 16:47:52
9. Akirame Flower
10. Pink
11. Korosu
12. 1970
13. Untitled (last track of Smile)

I can't really think of a witty/smart way to do this review because I'm still recovering from the mindshattering awesomeness that is Boris.

I'm so glad they still have Michio Kurihara with them, the dude is a genius. Better Boris collaborator than Merzbow, if I do say so myself. As it was the last time I saw them, his earth-shattering solo on Rainbow was a highlight. It just comes out of nowhere during one of the most relaxing songs of all time and just smacks you in the crotch with a frozen sledgehammer over and over again.

The sound wasn't as loud as I remember, but still one of the loudest shows I've ever seen. Also, after Akirame Flower, the band had to pause and just do reverb for about 10 minutes because something was messed up with Wata's peddles. But it just made what came after it that much sweeter. So happy they threw in Korosu and 1970 which are even better live than on tape. And Floorshaker > A Bao A Qu was probably the best part of the show. I still get chills thinking about it. Concert of the year.

Russian Circles was pretty good as well; really surprising. For an instrumental progressive/post-rock band, they had some awesome heavy parts. Even when the guitarist's pedal's messed up, they used that time to joke around with the crowd. I did recognize "Death Rides A Horse" as the second-to-last song they played.

Opening the show was KC's "Life And Times". They are a standard shoegaze/post-whatever band that fit in with Russian Circles perfectly. Heavy in spots and their bass player was awesome.

Boris: 10/10
Russian Circles: 8/10
Life And Times: 7.5/10

No comments: