Got information on a new show or need to contact me?

I'd love to hear from you if you read this blog. If you have tips, if you wanna say how much I rule or how much I suck: It's all good.

Add me on Facebook!: http://www.facebook.com/mankvill
E-Mail: mandatory-metallica@hotmail.com
MSN Messenger: jjstrfx64@hotmail.com
AIM: jjstrfox64

Wednesday, March 28, 2012

La Dispute -- Lawrence, KS -- March 27th, 2012

I had never really listened to any of the bands tonight before, except for maybe a few plays of La Dispute's side of their split with Touche Amore. But they definitely made a fan out of me tonight! Most of the bands tonight put on exceptional shows.

The first band was Sainthood Reps, and they were a great opening band. They played the kind of music you'd associate with this tour: emotive post-hardcore, but they did it with a lot of intensity. It was their guitarists birthday, too! Woohoo!

The second band, All Get Out, I actually liked a bit more than the other opening bands. They had a more rock and roll sound and at times reminded me a lot of Taking Back Sunday or old Weezer. Most of their songs were really intricate with a lot of emotion. Pretty awesome.

The one band I kind of didn't like was the last opening band, Balance and Composure. I'm not sure if it's because they had three opening bands of if it was just the uninspired performance they put on, they just didn't seem to be having a lot of fun on stage and it carried over to their performance. The aforementioned 3 guitars created a wall of sound that kind of made every song sound the same. Meh. Could've been a lot better.

La Dispute was really refreshing and full of energy and put on a great impassioned show. For some reason, I was stuck in a bias against them for so long (even for the first few songs of their set) that La Dispute was good, but not anywhere near as amazing as Touche Amore. The band played the first few songs and the crowd really liked it and the band looked like they were having fun, but when they brought out "New Storms For Old Lovers" as their first old song, the Jackpot went ballistic and catapulted every aspect of the performance into the stratosphere. I stopped trying to compare them to other bands and really enjoyed their set. Their vocalist is very emotional and went into the crowd a few times to have the fans help sing. There was a lot of jumping and a few small pits and lots of screaming along - pretty much the perfect audience you could ask for at a show like this. No hardcore dancers or any moshing at all. It was awesome. Their encore was King Park and it was chillingly good. I'd definitely see them again if they come back!

Partial/out of order La Dispute set:

New Storms For Older Lovers
Andria
a Departure
Safer in the Forest/Love Song for Poor Michigan
a Broken Jar
How I Feel
Why It Scares Me
====
King Park

La Dispute: 8.5/10
Balance and Composure: 5/10
All Get Out: 7.5/10
Sainthood Reps: 7/10

No comments: