Got information on a new show or need to contact me?

I'd love to hear from you if you read this blog. If you have tips, if you wanna say how much I rule or how much I suck: It's all good.

Add me on Facebook!: http://www.facebook.com/mankvill
E-Mail: mandatory-metallica@hotmail.com
MSN Messenger: jjstrfx64@hotmail.com
AIM: jjstrfox64

Sunday, April 8, 2012

Speedwolf -- Lawrence, KS -- April 8th, 2012

Happy Easter everybody! I hope you all went to church today. I just got home from the Church of SPEED METAL. Denver speed metal outfit Speedwolf ended their lengthy tour with a show in the basement of a house here in Lawrence, but what a show it was!

The only opening band I caught was Stiff Middle Fingers from Lawrence. Out of all the local punk bands I've ever seen open shows, they were probably the best. Most of their set were covers, including 3 from the Descendents, "In My Eyes" by Minor Threat, "Where Eagles Dare" by the Misfits, and they closed with a Stiff Little Fingers cover. Really awesome stuff. Just bass, guitar, drums and a vocalist, and the crowd responded really well. It was a lot of fun!

Speedwolf was complete chaos from beginning to end. The Overlook is just a house and the bands played in a basement, but there was a good-sized crowd and they were going nuts for every single song. Probably one of the best crowds I've ever been a part of. Speedwolf is just as fast live as they are on album. They ripped through each song with extreme aggression and the same rock and roll groove that Motorhead can call their own. They also covered Motorhead and also "The Rocker" by Thin Lizzy. We were the last stop on their tour, so they were all smiles, laughs and jokes, albeit tired ones. Didn't hinder their performance whatsoever. Right before "Denver 666", the vocalist said "Fuck the Chiefs!", but stopped in the middle of the song and gave a great big "Fuck. Tim. Tebow." which made everyone cheer! A great night full of pure, unadulterated METAL.

Speedwolf included (plus about 2 more):

Speedwolf
Up All Night
Out On Bail
I Am The Demon
I Can't Die
The Hammer (Motorhead cover)
The Rocker (Thin Lizzy cover)
New song (It might have been Breakin Down)
Another new song (I think it was called Hour of the Wolf)
Denver 666 (KANSAS 666!)

Speedwolf: 9/10
Stiff Middle Fingers: 8/10

No comments: