Got information on a new show or need to contact me?

I'd love to hear from you if you read this blog. If you have tips, if you wanna say how much I rule or how much I suck: It's all good.

Add me on Facebook!: http://www.facebook.com/mankvill
E-Mail: mandatory-metallica@hotmail.com
MSN Messenger: jjstrfx64@hotmail.com
AIM: jjstrfox64

Friday, July 24, 2009

Skeletonwitch -- Kansas City, MO -- July 23rd, 2009

I actually had to watch the first band from outside. It was local band War Bear. They play a pretty nice stoner/sludge metal and aren't too shabby at all. Some of their songs kinda sound the same, but it's good. 7/10

I had heard good things about Trap Them. Didn't Barney of Napalm Death say something akin to Trap Them restored his faith in grindcore/metal? And lemme tell ya, Barney was right. Their first and last songs were sludgey as all get-out, but everything in between was old-school punk/grind and it ruled. The vocalist is a madman and you can't help but headbang to the tunes. This band is made for small bar shows: the intimacy only fueled them to be more and more aggressive. Totally awesome. 8.5/10

If you have even a passing interest in heavy metal, Saviours is the band for you. They are, through and through, the definition of heavy metal. Their plastered with tattoos, they got long hair, and they know how to rock. They are ultimately heavy and most of their songs are pants-wettingly good. Some of them even had an old-school back-and-forth guitar solos between the two guitarists. I got chills more than once while they were playing. Infinitely awesome. 9/10

After being in the studio in Seattle for a month straight, Skeletonwitch is back and better than ever. Fourth time seeing them, and I'm still eagerly awaiting them to come back. Complete with smoke machines and strobe lights, the Witch played a perfect set. The solos were spot on, the drums were clear and fast and the crowd screamed along on every song with the band. It was, by far, the best time I've seen them. It depresses me to know that some people haven't seen Skeletonwitch live. Go as soon as you get the chance. You won't be sorry. 10/10

1. Upon Wings Of Black
2. Beyond The Permafrost
3. Blinding Black Rage
4. Sacrifice For The Slaughtergod
5. Fire From The Sky
6. Limb From Limb
7. Crushed Beyond Dust
8. Soul Thrashing Black Sorcery
9. Where The Light Has Failed
10. Remains Of The Defeated
11. Within My Blood

Thus concludes my third installment of my metal journey. Join me again after Saturday the 27th when my last show, Origin, will be complete. Oh, and pick up Skeletonwitch's new album, Breathing The Fire, on October 13th.

No comments: