Got information on a new show or need to contact me?

I'd love to hear from you if you read this blog. If you have tips, if you wanna say how much I rule or how much I suck: It's all good.

Add me on Facebook!: http://www.facebook.com/mankvill
E-Mail: mandatory-metallica@hotmail.com
MSN Messenger: jjstrfx64@hotmail.com
AIM: jjstrfox64

Monday, October 12, 2009

Dethklok -- Kansas City, MO -- October 12th, 2009

Awesome concert! I thought I was going to miss at least some of High on Fire, but I got there in time to see it all. It was a great experience.

High On Fire was my first concert of 2008, and I'd been jonesing to see them again. While they didn't get a very long set, they left me (again) wanting more. They absolutely slayed and Matt Pike is still a beast on the guitar. He rips through solos like it's as easy as not brushing his teeth and the crowd ate it up completely. Frost Hammer was amazing, and Waste of Tiamat is my favorite live HoF song still. I can't wait to see them again. 9/10

Fury Whip
Blood From Zion
Cometh Down Hessian
Waste of Tiamat
Frost Hammer
Rumors Of War

First things first: there was a huge pit filled with hardcore kiddies fighting invisible ninjas for Converge. But to be honest, they're one of the least worst "core" bands I've seen live. Maybe that's because they honestly don't try to be metal, they are at heart a hardcore/grindcore/mathcore band. But I still don't get it. A lot of times it sounded like they were leading up to a huge moment where they'd kick in and the place would explode, but nine times out of ten, it just never seemed to come. However, when they kicked it in, I really enjoyed it. I guess I was expecting a DEP-esque type of craziness, but Converge wasn't terrible. More grind, less core. 5/10

?
No Heroes
Axe To Fall
Eagles Become Vultures
The Broken Vow
Last Light
Reap What You Sow
Wolves At My Door
Dark Horse
?
?
Concubine

I, at first, thought it was lame that Mastodon was performing all of Crack the Skye still. But as I quickly found out, CtS translate extremely well live and made for a really memorable performance. Sound trouble happened at the beginning of the set, but was fixed by The Czar. Speaking of that song, the 2 songs I liked the best from their set were the longest from CtS, The Czar and The Last Baron. Absolutely chill-inducing when heard live. And the brutality of their pre-CtS material as the encore was amazing. The crowd went insane during Mother Puncher. Awesome show. 9/10

Oblivion
Divinations
Quintessence
The Czar
Ghost of Karelia
Crack The Skye
The Last Baron
--
Circle of Casquatch
Aqua Dementia
Where Strides The Behemoth
Mother Puncher
The Bit

Anyone who still doubts the intentions of Brendon Small and Dethklok just need to attend a show to see what all the fuss is about. The straight up melodic death metal approach from Dethklok really paired well with the prog-attack of Mastodon. I will say that Dethalbum I songs are better than Dethalbum II songs. But the crowd loved it all. Craziest pits I've seen all year. Brendon Small and his band are really, really talented. You can't help but headbang through their set. 9/10

Detheme
Bloodlines
Burn The Earth
Hatredcopter
Black Fire Upon Us
Birthday Dethday
Dethjingle
Dethsupport
Awaken
The Gears
Murmaider
Thunderhorse
Go Into The Water
Fansong
_________

No comments: